Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Blogger Venom (Just Plain Mean)

You know what is on my mind today is actually something that affected someone whom I love. This person writes his very own, wonderful, music blog. During certain periods of time , he get hits as many as 400 to 500 per day, and slower times in the summer, he gets 300 a day. So for an independent blog, that's quite a number of followers. This blog today is sort of about him, but more important it is about the impact that he has on the hundreds of people who follow his work. Not only does he know enough to fill ten books on music, he is a wonderful writer. He's written his music blog for several years now, and at one time taught journalism at two well known schools, and at another point has worked for several area newspapers. Now at 56, he finally has the opportunity to blog what he wants.

His blog mainly mixes music and his personal history. He talks about how music affected him as young man, and how it affects him now. He's made lots of friends in the music blog world, some have even become "real" world friends. And many "real" friends also follow his blog. So enough history.

Today on his blog, he received a rather rude comment, the writer basically called him a self pretentious, know it all, who thought that he was a good writer, but freely told him that he wasn’t. To quote his not so pretty language he told whiteray to " Get the Fuck" over himself. (Excuse the language, you will rarely if ever see that used in this blog)

Now not to say to much about the insulter, but I have given this some thought. I call these folks venomous people. I feel sad that someone who clearly set out to hurt another person with his words, has only hurt himself. The person of course posted anonymously. It's much easier to be a jerk when no one knows who you are.

This is kind of a long lead into my thought today which is ,"Where do these venomous people come from and what purpose does this kind of commentary serve?" I can tell you that it serves no good purpose. This person dropped his comment, and left some one feeling less because of it. Of course, I told my husband to ignore the rude man. My husband is clearly a competent writer and likely knows more about music than this anonymous person will ever know. I wonder what this person thinks that he gained from being unkind. Especially over the internet, if you don't care for something, just leave. No one invites someone in to be rude. It rarely works, it's not like my talented, wonderful man will take this to heart for longer than a few short moments.

What I think is sad is that this commenter cursed and used bad language and left a message of hate that was not needed, nor solicited. Nobody asked him what He thought, and if he didn't like it , he didn't have to be there. He's one click away from leaving the site at will. On a meta physical level, this is like the equivalent of walking up to someone with a bucket of pig slop, dumping it over his head, and then walking away never to be seen again. What could this possibly serve? Don't we have enough hate in the world without it spewing about for no good reason. My husband is the kindest, most loving spirit that I have encountered in this life. He is whole and good. If you happen to read this, know that you accomplished nothing except for the feelings of pity that we hold for you. You must be a very unhappy person. I hope that you will consider the impact that you have on others, especially on a gentle soul who is only writing about something he loves. At lease when you spew this trash, have the decency to sign your name with something other than anonymous.

This leaves me with little to say, but only makes me feel badly for the person who left the comment, I feel he/or she is sad and lonely, and I will send you love and peace to counter what ever makes you lash out. I will care and respect you, no matter how you abuse and behave unkindly to people who don't even know you.

To my readers, I say "thanks for listening". I wish you all much love, much happiness, and a smile so big that you can never remove it from your face. Namaste.

No comments: