Monday, August 17, 2009

Rocks and More

Rocks and more..... I looked up pictures of rocks on the web tonight. I have an affinity for all kinds of rocks. If you don't believe me, ask my husband Whiteray, I pick up all sorts of stuff that no one else would find any use for at all.

I've picked rocks from Texas beaches and Texas deserts. I've pick up petrified driftwood from Duluth, MN, and I've picked up assorted granite pieces from the thousands of rock quarries here in Saint Cloud, MN. So why rocks? I really have no idea, except that I'm fascinated by the life that a rock lives. (Yes, I do believe that rocks have a spiritual life, and I do believe that once I was a rock). Rocks make me feel earthy, don't know how else to say it. I'm a water sign who tends to drift from one thing to the next. Sitting on a big rock leaves me feeling earth bound and connected. Go hug some great big piece of Granite or any large rock for that matter. I like granite because it is so solid and so cold. It makes you feel like you are hugging the whole earth. I dare anyone to try this and walk away the same if they really put their heart into it.

When you do this, you have to get past what people passing by are thinking of your current quirky behavior. And, oh, how they stare!!!! When it happens you simply must turn around and say "Hey, buddy, haven't you ever seen anyone hug a rock before?" You have to make them feel as if they are the odd one, not the other way around.

One must remember that rock hugging is not for sissies. You have to be prepared to man up! You have to get into this place and be really, really present. Once you get past the initial grab and go, it's not so hard to step forward and try to really hug it the second time.

The first time that I really hugged a large rock, I felt like I was home. It was as if, from that moment forward rocks became my children. I have two large granite bolders sitting on top of the water well in our yard. They guard that entrance to my water supply, and keep the lawn mower from heating the well head. They were there before we moved into this house. But they will never leave me, and will always stand guard at my well. I sit on my well rocks, they hold me as I , the Piscean water sign, sit lovingly above my wellstream that provides for me daily. (I have a similar relationship with water, but I'll save that for another day).

My rocks make me feel solid, and strong, and lasting when I think that I won't make it through the day. If I want to feel strong, I carry one of my rocks to work. It's energy grounds me and keeps focused when I don't feel like it. I have a real love for the sandstone rocks that I picked up in a small roadside rock shop in Chihauhuan Desert outside Big Bend National Park in Texas. It's probably the only rock shop for miles so if you've been there you might know it. I have now carried those rocks with me through around 5 states. They have become part of who I am.

My rock in life is my lover and friend, whiteray2, he runs a music blog. He'll love this.....he reminds me of a rock that I love to spend time with, always solid, always bring me back down to earth. He lets me run into these strange things and hug rocks, and then he says when it's time for me to come back in the house and cook dinner, or do the dishes, but he lets me love my rocks

So someday when you are driving in Saint Cloud, MN and you see a house with a well and 2 large granite bolders, you'll know you are looking at my granite guardians. Treat them with respect, and go out and find a rock to love for your very own. Afterall, rocks are people too!

No comments: